30 second summary:
- Hyperlocal Search Engine Optimization helps communities in trouble save their local businesses.
- Moz surveyed over 1,400 local business marketers and more than half said they plan to implement Google’s new features to help businesses affected by COVID-19.
- Five Undervalued, But Critical, Parameters That Marketers Need To Stay informed about.
- Sarah Bird’s special tips for optimizing audience engagement at various marketing touchpoints.
- The best you can do for landing pages is …?
- Immerse yourself in these golden nuggets and more.
2020 has in many ways hit the reset button for the world and added more wheels to the “car of struggles” of digital marketers and brands to thrive. SEO is in some ways viewed as a Russian roulette game where you win some and lose some, and COVID-19 hasn’t made this any easier. To help you hit the bull’s eye and give your digital strategies an extra boost, we caught up with Moz’s CEO Sarah Bird to uncover emerging trends in search engines, SEO, audience behavior, and more!
Sarah Bird, CEO of Moz
Question: What technologies, tools and audience behaviors do you see over the course of 2020? If you were to draw a line between the temporary and those supposed to stay, what would it be?
Sarah Bird: Hyperlocal search has been important for years. 2020 only increased his earnings.
COVID-19 has made active management of local business listings more important than ever. Communities that are struggling to support themselves and support themselves under changed conditions must rely on the Internet as a critical resource. When business listings can quickly tell them what’s available, where, when, and how, it really matters.
With Google introduces new features Customers enabling business owners to share updates on roadside collection, home delivery, or special opening times for vulnerable populations right on their listings can access convenient information with a simple search. We surveyed over 1,400 local marketers and more than half said they wanted to implement such services on a permanent basis. Aside from making it imperative this year, companies recognize that investing in ecommerce should not only be short term, it should be able to accommodate their business and customers for the long term.
Question: If you were to pick the hero of Moz’s local and international SEO strategy for the rest of 2020, which one would it be?
Sarah Bird: Reputation management will be critical to local SEO strategy in 2020. We provide reputation management features through Moz Local that users should urgently take advantage of.
Some of the most valuable features of Moz Local right now are Review Alerts, which can help you quickly resolve complaints and assess responses for quality control. During busy times, customers are more emotional – this can work either for or against you. If you get a bad rating during this time, it is imperative that you react quickly and empathetically.
Moz Local also offers a sentiment analysis feature that shows the most frequently used words for each of your star ratings. This can be helpful in deciphering exactly what customers think is important during this time.
Question: What five undervalued but crucial parameters do marketers need to keep in mind to ensure that their brand has positively impacted their customers / audiences?
- Keywords: Understand your own keywords and those of your competitors make sure marketers have a plan to ensure visibility of a brand’s offerings or content.
- External links:: This is an important source of ranking in a SERP.
- Distinction: The correct design of content is the key to reaching the target groups. Sometimes that means coming up with contrary ideas, like described by Caroline Forsey by HubSpot.
- Omnichannel communication: Not all of your readers will read and engage on their laptop or cell phone, but do remember how SEO is involved with yours Social media strategy.
- Result alignment: SEO goals don’t always have to focus on clicks. Make sure your marketing team is focused on how they want content or a topic to be worked on, as it may mean that your ideal outcome is to answer your client’s question right in the SERP.
Question: What are the best ways to use entities that take advantage of BERT that can add more dimensions to keyword strategy, content and overall digital presence?
Sarah Bird: I don’t encourage SEOs or marketers to do this optimize for BERT. There are too many variables to develop an effective strategy for this model.
Instead, marketers should continue to focus on the overall goal of creating excellent content that holistically understands and fulfills user intentions. This is no small feat and requires an in-depth understanding of your company, your audience, and the intertwining of the two. Creating great content that is data-driven, timely, and empathetic to the audience will prove far more effective than focusing on that specific component of an algorithmic change from Google.
Q. Tips for optimizing audience engagement at marketing touchpoints like email, landing pages, and social media?
Sarah Bird: Each of these touchpoints is important to a company’s SEO strategy. These are not tactics that can be addressed – they all have a powerful impact.
Email marketing offers the highest ROI and generates $ 38 for every $ 1 spent. When it comes to email, calls to action need to be clear. Think about which landing pages you are sending people to and whether they are suitable for improving bounce rates.
Social shares of the content of a brand show a high correlation to the ranking (as described by our own Cyrus Shepard.) As with everything in search engine optimization, a focus should be placed on the keywords used as well as the medium of the output content and on whether it is optimized or not.
Up-converting landing pages can lead to high bounce rates, which can have a negative impact on SEO. Rand Fishkin has exactly this problem rolled into one Whiteboard Friday. The best thing you can do for landing pages is to focus on long-tail, high-conversion keywords and serve keyword-based content.
Let us know your thoughts on our interview and the emerging trends. Write a comment!