In the past few years we’ve seen the power of video on the internet – Facebook alone receives an average of eight billion views a day, and YouTube’s video platform has enabled young teenagers to become national superstars (Justin Bieber, anyone?). A Cisco report estimates that by 2022, watching video will account for 82% of internet traffic.
There are several channels that marketers need to consider when sharing video, such as: B. YouTube and TikTok or Snapchat. There is also Instagram TV (IGTV), which started in 2018 and is different from Instagram Stories.
What is IGTV?
IGTV is Instagram’s video feature that allows developers to create long-form video content and share it with their audience.
Additionally, IGTV is primarily intended for smartphones as the videos are vertical and users don’t have to rotate their devices to watch them. If you want to test the app for your own company or just want to know which brands to follow in the app, you’re in luck – we’ve put together all the tips and information you need to get started with IGTV here.
How do I download IGTV?
You can access IGTV directly from the native Instagram app. Simply launch your profile, navigate to the “Explore” tab and select “IGTV” from the carousel menu.
There is also a standalone IGTV app that you can download from the App Store. To get it, just go to the App Store or Google Play, search for IGTV and click Get or Install.
IGTV video length
Anyone with an Instagram account can upload an IGTV video.
Unlike Instagram Stories’ 15-second video limit, IGTV videos can be up to 15 minutes long when uploaded from a mobile device and up to 60 minutes long when uploaded from the Internet.
How do you make an IGTV channel?
To create an IGTV channel, you need to download the IGTV app and log in with your Instagram account credentials. Next, select the Settings gear icon (next to your account profile photo) and click Create Channel.
How do I create IGTV videos?
To upload and edit the title and description of your IGTV video, please do the following:
1. Open the IGTV app and click on your profile icon. Then click Upload Video. If you haven’t already given permission, you will be prompted to give IGTV access to your video library.
2. Select the video that you want to upload.
3. Click Next in the upper right corner.
4. Add your preferred video title and description, and edit the cover photo that users will see before the video starts playing.
5. Click Publish to publish your video.
You can also upload a video to IGTV from the native Instagram app. Here are the steps:
1. Navigate to your profile and select the plus sign in the top right corner of the screen.
2. When the Build menu appears, select IGTV Video.
3. Select the video you want to upload, choose your preferred cover art, and add a title and description.
4. Click Post to IGTV.
IGTV provides the following in-app analytical insights for your videos: Views, Likes, Comments, Average Percentage, Reach, Stores, and Interactions.
To get these insights, open your IGTV app and click on any of your published videos. Then do the following:
1. Open your video and click the “…” icon below.
2. Choose View Insights.
3. The IGTV Video Insights menu should appear and contain information about your audience analysis. Since this video is just a test, there is no analysis data for the video.
How to find videos and channels on IGTV
- When you open the IGTV app, you can use the search bar to find videos and channels.
- If you’re not sure what to look for, you can scroll through suggested videos based on accounts you tracked, popular videos, or videos recommended based on your account activity.
- In the Instagram app, you can find someone’s IGTV by navigating to their profile page. The IGTV icon should appear above your picture gallery. Clicking on it will take you to the person or brand’s IGTV channel.
The picture below shows the preview of the IGTV channel from the popular internet show The Daily Show.
Watch videos on IGTV
As soon as you open the IGTV app, a video starts playing immediately – presumably in the hope that users will immerse themselves in the content.
To watch a video, just click on it. When you’re no longer interested, you can scroll up to see other options.
There are four categories of video: For You, Follow, Popular, and Watch Next. You can scroll left and right to see your options and choose the ones you want to view. As mentioned above, you can also use the search bar to find channels you’re already familiar with or to see if someone you’re interested in has a channel.
To watch an IGTV video in the Instagram app, navigate to a user’s profile, select the IGTV icon and select the video that you want to watch.
The Best IGTV Channels and Brands to Follow
There are hundreds of brands and channels that create stunning and unique IGTV content. If your business is starting from scratch and looking for inspiration, here are some channels and brands to check out:
Top influencer on IGTV
While IGTV doesn’t have the same audience reach as Instagram or YouTube, it’s still a worthwhile platform to reach out to your audience members, especially if they aren’t using other video sharing apps like TikTok, Snapchat, or Youtube.
Below is a list of IGTV content creators using the platform to create content that appeals to their specific niche.
How to share an IGTV video
- Select a video and swipe down on the video thumbnail to hide the search menu.
- To share on Instagram, click the paper airplane icon at the bottom of the video. Enter a name (or create a group) in the search box, click the username and press Submit. You can also add your own message before sending the video.
- If you want to share the IGTV video outside of Instagram, press the three-dot icon at the bottom of the video. Then select Copy Link. Now you can paste the link into text or an email to send to friends.
Ultimately, it is up to you to decide whether IGTV offers valuable benefits for your business. It is important that you consider your target audience’s preferences when deciding – would they prefer to watch your brand on IGTV or do they consume content elsewhere?
If you think your brand is doing well in a relatively unmarked area, you might want to give IGTV a try. Take out your camera, capture some unedited glimpses behind the scenes of your business, and hit mail. Your audience insights will tell you soon enough whether it’s worth going down a path.